October 25, 2011

Renovating Your Home For Asbestos

Older homes are known for being full of personality as well as good memories. If you choose to live in an older home, it can be a great investment. However, one problem with older houses is that they may have been built using asbestos-containing products. If you suspect that your home contains asbestos, it is very important to renovate your home to remove the toxin while still keeping you and your loved ones safe in the process.
First, it is important to know where asbestos might be present in your home. Asbestos became very popular during the Industrial Revolution because of its insulating properties. As a member of the silicate mineral property, asbestos is resistant to heat, flame, chemicals, electricity, and biodegradation. Additionally, asbestos itself has the useful characteristics of high tensile strength and flexibility, which means that it is easily added to a variety of different materials.
Thus, the construction industry embraced asbestos. For a time, it was added to vinyl flooring, insulation, ceiling tiles, roof tiles, and roofing tar, among many other things. Therefore, it could be present virtually all around you. If you suspect that there is asbestos in your home, you should call a certified asbestos inspector. Don't try to examine the substance yourself, as you may expose yourself to the carcinogen.
Asbestos can be divided into two categories, friable and non-friable. Friable asbestos is able to flake into microscopic particles, and non-friable asbestos cannot. Asbestos is only dangerous when it is in the friable form. This type of asbestos is able to become airborne, where you can ingest or inhale it. Once the fibers are in your body, they can become lodged in your tissues. Your body is unable to break down and process asbestos, so it often makes nodules around the fibers. These can contribute to scarring or the nodules can turn into cancerous tumors.
If there is indeed asbestos in your home, professional asbestos renovators have several options to protect you and your loved ones. If the asbestos is friable, they can either remove it, or paint special lacquers over the material to block the release of the fibers. During this process, the renovators must have special ventilating units in place so that the airborne particles are not spread throughout your home.
When you inhale asbestos fibers, it can cause lung cancer and mesothelioma. If you or someone you love has developed mesothelioma as a result of asbestos exposure